Thursday, March 22, 2012

Mahabalipuram is good, and better with Dana..

This place was amazing. Only 55 km away from Chennai, Mahabalipuram was already a different world. It was truly one of the best places I had seen in India and by far the best beach (never been to Goa though) I was quite surprised to see the town being so empty and it was better that way. Mahabalipuram was a very nice quiet shore town with a long history that goes back to 7th century. 

Shore Temple by the Seaside & Five Rathas (chariots carved on a single rock)

This small town was once the port city of South Indian Dynasty - Pallavas and many monuments still remain in the town since 7th-9th centuries. There is the Shore Temple, Five Rathas, various Rock carvings all around, enough to see for a day but a day wouldn’t be enough to chill out in this beautiful “fisherman village”.

Mahabalipuram Village & View from my room 

I found a place by the beach with a nice sea view only for 500 rupees. Then I started walking on the beach and in my first ½ hr in Mahabalipuram, there, I met my travel buddy, Dana from Israel.


 Resting at the Five Rathas & Rock Carvings all around the town

Having started her India trip with her boyfriend in Goa, she was now taking some time off and traveling alone while her bf had to stay to work “from home” by the beach. She had been on the way alone for a couple of weeks by then and even if it was her first trip alone, she was already like a local. She had learnt many important customs and spoke some basic local words.
Drinking Coconut water & Dana & I by the Lighthouse

She was truly a free soul, going to body painting festivals in Israel, loves travelling, had been in most of the Europe already, froze her school for travelling with her bf and no strict plans where/how to land next. We met on Tuesday afternoon, walked on the beach, had dinner together, had long rooftop discussions on the top of my hotel, shared the same room, travelled all around Mahabalipuram next day and talked, talked, talked without almost breathing until my departure back to Chennai on Wednesday afternoon. 

Dana & I - Our breakfast toast with butter jam on the 2nd day

As I say, the best thing about travelling alone is to get to meet with cool people and I am pretty sure I will meet with her again either in Turkey or in Israel or in another corner of the world.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment