Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Chalo Mumbai!

Soo on Sunday, after the first jetlag day and a night-out, i woke up in the afternoon. With the help of the warm weather I wanted to sleep, sleep and sleep more. As we say in Turkish, I felt like “cece sinegi isirmis gibi” (bitten by tsetse fly) the whole day.

I left home in the afternoon to meet with Onur and to take a couple of pictures around the Gateway & the famous Taj Hotel which was bombed a couple of years ago. After this incident, i heard that, Mumbai streets are filled with the police.
Gateway of India                                             Taj Hotel in Mumbai

I was hoping to take some pictures of these Mumbai landmarks, however I was the one whose picture was taken mostly. It is not very usual to see ‘people from foreigner’ for the Indians coming from smaller cities or villages and when they see one, they would like to take a picture with. And they are so nice all the time, a bit shy when asking and they appreciate it a lot at the end. They thank in different ways, some give you souvenirs, some offer you peanuts, some want to talk & help you.


People chilling by the Gate

Other Mumbai “Landmarks”
After taking pictures with around 7-8 different groups, Onur arrived to the Gate. We walked around the area, he took me 2 nice places, a café by the gateway and the famous Café Mondegar which was a place mostly internationals hang out. 

Another famous example was the Leopolds which is widely mentioned and in fact one of the most important places in the book Shantaram. The ones who read the book will know that [SPOILER ALERT] => Linbaba and his –mostly-international friends’ main meeting location is this café. That’s where Lin gets to see his love Karla quite often, that’s where they do their “business” deals, that’s where Lin found about Indira Gandhi’s assassination and Prabaker’s accident.



In fact I watched once on the TV that this place has always been well known but thanks to the book, it got much more popular especially among the tourists. I haven’t been there myself, haven’t tried anything but I heard from both friends that it is quite expensive, food is not so good and it is overrated, but nevertheless it is one of the most famous one in the city.

Onur, whom I knew back from AIESEC days, has been living in Mumbai for 1.5 years now and is about to leave the country in one month time. He loved his experience especially the people and the travels around the country. He acted in some commercials & Bollywood movies, he promised to put me in contact with some agencies and make me famous on my trip back in Mumbai in June J Of course I wouldn’t mind taking small parts in some Bollywood movies just for the sake of having a great memory.
¯ Walk Like an Indian¯

One of the things I LOVE in India is to walk in the crowded streets alone, be a part of the crazy traffic of cars & people and feel like a local. On Sunday, after saying bye to Onur, on the way back from Café Mondegar, I walked on the Colaba Causeway for almost an hour. Sellers shouting on the side of the street, people running onto me, cars honking hysterically, no validity of the traffic lights, it was the moment I felt the closest to my hometown, Istanbul. I felt like I was walking in a place a bit like Taksim and a bit like Eminonu.
Fruit on Colaba Causeway                                         &   Me on Colaba Causeway

After the walk on the Colaba Causeway, Sunday night was a chilled one, on Tata Sky, we watched the Switch, Zohan and the Resident Evil in a row. Monday was also an eventless day, packing again, rushing to my Hyderabad train at 3:00 in the afternoon. This is how I concluded my Mumbai trip.

Maybe I am not the right one to judge, because I have been here only twice both on long weekend trips but I have a feeling that I could live in this city without any hesitation. My first impression is that Mumbai is a city you either love or hate (For me, Istanbul is like that too). I always had that thing with the big cities, Istanbul, New York, Sydney, Mumbai etc. and in these 2 visits I could picture myself living in this city which has a special character.

I will be back here in the mid of June to take my flight back to Istanbul again and until then..
Chalo Mumbai, June mein dekheinge! 

No comments:

Post a Comment